Smarden Historical Registers
Last Updated on February 15, 2021 by
Historical church registers were transcribed on behalf of Smarden Local History Society by volunteers Elizabeth McLeish and Eleanor Bliss, with additional information, photographs and IT support provided by Roger Craig, between 2011 and 2014. The registers are as follows:
- Churchyard Burials, 1813 – 1953
- Baptisms 1780 – 1812
- Baptisms 1632 – 1750
- Fund collections 1663 – 1710
To access the registers, choose the relevant title under Quick Links below. Most of the data is available in two forms: either with or without comments (depending on space), in a choice between alphabetical by surname or chronological, or, in the case of the earlist register, with a separate file for collections of monies (many with receipts) donated for specific purposes of “briefs”.
Smarden Churchyard map and burial locator list
Burials Register 1813 – 1953
Burials Register 1813 – 1953 with comments
Baptism Register 1750 – 1812, alphabetical
Baptism Register 1750 – 1812, chronological
Baptism Register 1632 – 1750, chronological
Fund Collections 1663 – 1710
Article on transcription of Smarden’s registers
Photos of the registers
As the transcripts are completed they are being made available as CDs, one for each register, costing £15 each (for PCs only). Each contains a searchable database with the transcripts alongside. Please contact: Smarden Heritage Centre, Chessenden Lane, Smarden, Kent TN27 8NF, United Kingdom
or email email@example.com.
Disclaimer: the writing in the original hand-written registers are in places faint or illegible. People should consult the originals for a definitive version of their entry. The original registers remain the property of Smarden Parish Church but for preservation reasons are currently held by Kent Archives Service, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1XQ.